Trusted Military POV Car Shipping
What is military auto transport? In a nutshell, it’s a car shipping service tailored for military personnel (available to both active and retired members). Depending on the situation, the government will pay for the cost of delivering one vehicle.
It’s common to receive permanent change of station (PCS) orders without much notice. In order to seamlessly ship your privately owned vehicle (POV), you’ll need to work with a company that understands your needs and can provide prompt service.
This is where Caravan Auto makes it simple. We work with an extensive network of fully vetted, qualified, and experienced carriers. From CONUS to OCONUS, Caravan has you covered. On top of outstanding service, you can enjoy military discounts. Click now for an easier way to ship and get your free estimate in just minutes!
How Does Military Car Shipping Work?
Need to ship your trusty ride to a new station? Bought a vehicle overseas and want to get it back stateside? Let’s take a look at the process.
Payment by Government or Yourself
Car transport for military members works a lot like civilian shipping. However, the main difference is that the government may cover the cost.
- OCONUS: If you’ve received PCS, you may opt for government-paid transport. This is typically limited to one POV. If you’re headed outside of the continental US (OCONUS) – this generally means anywhere outside of the contiguous 48 states, plus Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and Guam – then you usually don’t have to pay out of pocket for one auto.
- CONUS: If you currently reside in the continental US (CONUS) and are being stationed in CONUS, then the military usually doesn’t pay for vehicle hauling. There are exceptions to the rule. Also, if you need to ship more than one car, then you’ll need to pay for it yourself.
Have a recreational or oversized vehicle? The government generally does not cover transport fees. Military members are known for their love of custom autos, and so you’ll need to work with a shipping expert that has the know-how to properly ship your ride.
Discounts for Military Members
One of the benefits of being in the armed forces is military discounts. Most auto shippers offer them, and this can save you a bunch of money. But not all carriers provide the same savings, which can range from a few bucks to hundreds of dollars. It pays to find the right fit.
Whether you’re an active or retired military service member, you can get fantastic shipping services via Caravan. With our wide network of highly rated and qualified shipping partners, it’s easy to enjoy a smooth (and affordable) experience. Inquire about discounts!
Preparation for Military Auto Shipping
Okay, so you’re ready to get things moving. Prior to shipment, it’s crucial that you prep your vehicle. Here are the basic steps to do so:
- Receive Authorization: When dealing with PCS, you’ll need your car transport authorized on your orders. Look into whether the military will pay for shipping your POV.
- Select Reputable Transporter: Whether you have one vehicle or several, Caravan makes it a breeze to ship state-to-state, overseas, and internationally.
- Collect Documents: These include proof of entitlement, identification, and ownership. Also, provide your carrier with current contact/emergency info.
- Clean Car: Fully wash and vacuum your vehicle. Remove any items that are not necessary or not permanently part of the auto.
- Document Condition: Take photos and create a written record of the car’s condition. Have carrier make an official note. This will come in handy in case of an insurance claim.
- Check Fluids: Gas should be at a quarter of a tank or lower. Check for any leaks (oil, coolant, and so on) and take care of them accordingly.
- Cover Maintenance: The vehicle should be safe and operational. This includes engine, transmission, windshield, etc.
- Have Keys Ready: Your hauler will need a full set of keys (for ignition, doors, trunk, gas cap, and so on). Make copies and provide spares.
- Stored Vehicle: Have a car in storage? Prepare for up to 21 days for storage release and transport to a vehicle processing center (VPC) prior to pick up.
- Pick up: You can either pick up yourself or authorize a friend or family member to do so. Many companies can also pick up and deliver to military bases.
Military Car Shipping Services
There’s a multitude of transport choices available to military personnel. Whether you’re in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard, here are the options for those looking to ship vehicles state-to-state, to/from the mainland, or internationally.
Shipping Car To/From Hawaii and the Mainland
If shipping to or from the Hawaiian Islands, you’ll probably want to bring your car with you. It’s a gorgeous place with a ton of fun destinations and attractions, so having your own ride is a big plus. If you’re headed back to the mainland, you’ll need to connect with a specialized auto shipping company. Members of the military are permitted to ship one car to or from HI.
Domestic PCS for POV
Have PCS orders? Have a car you need to take with you? If you’re living in CONUS (continental US) and being restationed in CONUS, the cost of transport is the customer’s responsibility. There are exceptions, however. If you’re relocating to or from OCONUS (outside continental US), the government covers the expense of shipping one vehicle.
International and Overseas Shipping
Need to ship your POV overseas? Vehicle shipment must be authorized on your orders. If the auto is deemed necessary or helpful while stationed internationally, you may qualify for government-paid car transport. Keep in mind that licensing, insurance, and taxes can vary from country to country. Make sure to do ample research ahead of time so you’re prepared.
Whether you’re being stationed overseas or won’t be able to operate your vehicle while on active duty, auto storage definitely comes in handy. It’s important to note that the government usually covers the cost of storage. However, this is limited to one passenger car. It does not include recreational vehicles or oversized autos. Ask your auto shipper for details.
One of the bonuses of being in the United States Armed Forces is military discounts. This extends to vehicle transport. Whether you’re active or retired, you can enjoy savings. However, the discount can vary quite a bit – anywhere from a few bucks to hundreds of dollars. Caravan makes it easy to compare carriers for the greatest savings.
Open and Enclosed Car Transport Options
There are two main options for auto shipping: open and enclosed transport. As the name implies, an open carrier does not have walls or a roof. It is, however, a popular (and cost-effective) pick. Enclosed shipment provides much better protection of your car from severe weather and road debris. It’s more expensive but offers greater peace of mind.
Don’t have the time or ability to drop off and pick up your vehicle? There can be many reasons – schedule conflicts, quick move, location distance, convenience – for choosing a door-to-door service. If you have the budget (and dealing with a short amount of time to move), this option takes all the stress off your shoulders. Let your transporter take care of it!
Considering how often PCS orders are given on short notice, it can be a relief to know your car can be transported more quickly. Whether you’re headed to a new state or across the country, expedited shipping can be a lifesaver. Keep in mind that this does add to the overall cost of shipment. But if you need your ride asap, this is a great option.
Additional Baggage Allowed
Need to pack your vehicle with some extra items? When shipping a vehicle in the military, it can be super handy to utilize car space for any suitcases, bags, or tools. Fortunately, you can often fit up to approximately 100 lbs. of baggage. However, this has to be stowed in your car’s trunk. Be sure to inquire about details with your transporter of choice.
Caravan Auto Transport offers free quotes from fully vetted, insured, and licensed military auto transport companies (along with military discounts). Click below to get started now!